Ensuring a Successful Virtual and Hybrid Meeting
An increasing number of companies are embarking on the journey of conducting shareholder meetings via technological means. As the Annual General Meeting (AGM) season approaches and companies consider a virtual or hybrid meeting, it’s important to be well prepared.
As one of Australia’s leading registry providers, BoardRoom has extensive experience in providing virtual and/or hybrid meeting services to companies ranging from unlisted entities to ASX50 organisations.
Below are our key tips on how to successfully navigate the new world of virtual and hybrid meetings:
- Be a guest – Before you embark on your own journey, it is a good idea to attend other virtual/hybrid meetings as a guest to gain first-hand experience.
- Communication – Investors must be engaged and informed on the new meeting format, including instructions on how to attend, vote and ask questions. This can be achieved by direct communication or by hosting information on your corporate website.
- Practice – Ensure the Chairman, CEO and other executives who are part the meeting have rehearsed and are familiar with the process. It is common to have 2-3 rehearsals prior to the meeting to ensure a seamless process.
- Meeting technology – Utilise proven technology that is tried and tested. This will ensure important events, such as voting on a poll, is secure and accurate and you guarantee a smooth and efficient meeting.
- Webcasting – Engage a professional webcaster to ensure your meeting is presented professionally. With the meeting broadcast available to a wider range of your shareholders than a physical meeting, high quality audio and video broadcast is essential.
- Chair’s script – The Chair should have a succinct script to open the meeting to set out the meeting procedures, including an explanation of the new technology.
- It’s still an AGM – Allow shareholders to participate and ask questions as they normally would in a physical AGM. Employ a moderator to ensure shareholder’s questions are addressed and no questions are missed.
We are in changing times and the AGM is experiencing a transformation. Whilst the technology has been in place for some years, the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated its uptake dramatically.
As a leading registry provider with extensive experience and knowledge in virtual and/or hybrid meetings, we can ensure that your AGM is a seamless experience for you and your investors. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.